Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ostiarius - the word of the day


An ostiarius, a Latin word sometimes anglicized as Ostiary but often literally translated as porter or doorman, originally was a servant or guard posted at the entrance of a building.


Why this word? Why today?

As some doors open, others are shut and throughout my journey to find a job here in London I've been through what seems like an infinite number of doors...

Some of the doormen are friendly when I'm on my way in, and when I'm on my way out

Others are not friendly at all, possibly cause they have too many people coming in and out of their doors...

Some doormen I know from the past and get me in through the back enterance...

And then there are the ones that are only too glad to see the back of me but who welcomed me as a king...


Today I was shown out of one door by a friendly Ostiary... the outcome however is as definite whether the Ostiary is kind, cruel or unremarkable...

Today another door opened and the doorman is someone I know...

Tomorrow one door is wide open ...


So you see... I have met a lot of these doormen, and gone through a lot of doors... but not yet got a foot in



I'll leave you with a funny picture taken on Monday... Anne and I met this pigeon while crossing a street in London... Standing and waiting until the light turned green... quite a site... fancy meeting a patient Londoner... but then again, it was Easter, he might have been an out of town pigeon...

No comments: