Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Strangers...

So today I had an arranged meeting with a complete stranger for coffee... Not that strange of course but... here's how it came about...

A friend of mine knows a girl, who knows a girl, who has a sister who works in Sports Event Management... and it is this person I met for coffee at a Starbucks near St. James Tube today... without knowing who she was nor how she looked, I turned up a little early and ordered a tea... (perhaps sacriligously at Starbucks)... with 10 minutes until the time we were supposed to meet, a woman arrived outside the starbucks... and was looking around and looking at her clock impatiently... it was clear she was waiting for someone, but it was not clear if she knew who she was waiting for or not...time went and the person i was waiting for had not arrived, the person she was waiting for had not arrived either and she had been walking around just outside the starbucks looking rather impatient... so I got up and walked outside and said, "excuse me, you don't happen to be Holly do you?" and she replied "Oh no... no.. i'm just waiting for someone that I've never met" and I laughed and added "so am i... "... ends up she was waitin for someone different and i met up with the person I was supposed to shortly after...

The person I was going to chat to works and has worked in an Event Manager type of role for 4 years at a sports agency and the 30 minute chat was extremely interesting and rewarding and she promised to help me out as best she could...

it is precisely this that gets one a job these days... its networking, its meeting people, its putting yourself out there and risking ... build build build build build... perhaps not this meeting, perhaps not the next, but it will come good... its character building and its important... i received great information from her so we'll see where that leads...


Following the coffee I went to meet an old high school friend of mine for a drink near Waterloo station and i walked past the Houses of Parliament and across the Westminster bridge... as I passed the Houses of Parliament Alistair Darling (Chancellor of the Exchequer) drove out just in front of me in a rather normal looking opel or ford or some basic car... interesting...

While walking past Big Ben I took a picture on my old school phone... might be interesting for someone out there... :-P
I'll leave you with that picture...

No comments: