Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Quiet over London yonder...

It's been creepily quiet from my side the past week since I got back to looking for work. For that I apologise. I reckon a few of you might want a bit of a recap of the week that's gone.


Its gotten back to the old swing of things. Anne has a little desk in Mathilda's room and I'm sitting in my desk (in the kitchen). Its quite good as whenever you need a quick coffee/tea break you can sneak on into her room and find the company I was sometimes missing in the first few months. On the tougher side, it has been awfully quiet on the job front. Yes there are still a lot of jobs being advertised and I've already sent out a number of applications to different jobs, but I have not heard back from them, I have not heard back from people I contacted before christmas and I have not heard from people I have emailed. Not a single word. It seems as though everyone has climbed into a little shell. Calling is obviously the best thing to do in such situations but its incredible how many meetings are going on at any one time around London. So CV's are swarming around out there, people are getting contacted... for everyday that goes the stress becomes that little bit more... Remaining patient, remaining optimistic still... yet it's always nice with some confirmation that one exists. Its always nice with an interview here or there, a talk with someone over a coffee, a call from someone... It really is about putting yourself in the next gear, keeping on going, never giving up... but its easier said than done...

As for Anne, I would say she's started extremely brightly. She has already met with one photographer and a crew of models and make up artists, and already had her first day shoot (last sunday). In the upcoming days she has a number of jobs, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Most unpaid but the contacts she's making are priceless and she's getting photos out of them and practicing and in a great mood. I'm extremely pleased that she's doing well and seemingly enjoying it to the extreme.


This past weekend, a friend of ours from Malmö came to town... Landgren... together with his lovely girlfriend. We went to a pub just off Covent Garden called the Roundabout and then ventured into SOHO to a place called Thirst where my sister avec friends were hangin out... great catching up with Landgren, hearing about the old workplace and some of the old colleagues. Brushing up on my Swedish which Anne quite rightly points out is deteriorating quite quickly... :-) It's funny how quickly one can lose a language if one doesn't use it all that much... by losing I don't mean that I can't speak it, I mean that it takes more effort:-)


On Sunday it was time for the ole Chelsea v Man Utd battle (in footie (soccer)), one in which Chelsea largely disappointed us all but its great being in England because one gets a lot more excited about the English league. By one I of course mean me because I know a lot of people who are super excited about it around the world, but I like the fact that I follow it week in week out now much more easily even knowing who they are playing next... Saw it with Mathilda, Simon and a group of others... now I must wait until next season or possibly the Champions League or FA cup to see us defeat the mighty reds:-)


Two things I've realised this past week...

1) its important to eat breakfast... if you don't eat a good breakfast you're screwed for the rest of the day...

2) exercise does wonders... I went out for a run this morning and although you lay there first thinking should I? Should I really? ... but it felt great... unfortunately every morning you're going to feel the same... but it really makes the day go by so much easier:-)

Anne is going to join a gym that is literally 100 meters down the road (location location location)... and while at first sceptical about it... I'm starting to soften to the idea. It would be great to get the exercise and who knows when you'll get the time to attempt to really get into shape once you start to work and don't have the time anymore... its all about using it though... cause its not cheap...



To conclude, I'd like to say a little something about the weather. Last week, the weatherman on BBC announced that it was the coldest day in London for over a decade (at -1 degrees celcius)... people were complaining (heck, i was complaining)... but it says quite a lot about how cold it gets in London in the winter time... the rest of Europe is experiencing -15 or -25 and London is freezing over at -1... it's all relative though I suppose...

So that was my little rant for now... I hope this finds you all well...
until next time...

No comments: