Monday, February 16, 2009

Where is the love?

Let me start with last Thursday. My friend Emma invited me to a beer festival at Battersea Arts Center (on the SOUTH SIDE of the river... oooooo)... This is the link to the festival. Brewers and pub owners from all over the UK had congregated for a few days of beer tasting... they were ales and bitters... 3 pounds enterance charge, and approximately 1.20 per half pint... you were given a glass and there were kegs of beer stacked high on both sides of approximately 50 meters worth of space.

Now I've been to a few wine tasting events in my time and this crowd weren't as... sophisticated... there wasn't the same... swig, smell, look ... whatever bit of the crowd that you can make out from this video(as you can see in the video taken on my old school Z550i Sony Ericsson is of premium quality) is a little...different...:-P



So yea.. you don't see much really hehehe... but there were lots of men... men men and more men... it was like a GIANT pub... the same noise level, the same feel... only it was a huge pub.. with loads and loads of different choices... I drank a Sheepershaggers Gold... tasted like sheep piss truth be told...; I drank a Holy Joe... wasn't that bad don't you know...; and my favorite... a dark delight... it was just right...:-) there were lots of funny names... and lots of fat men behind the counter serving up these different ales... a great night out.. highly recommended for anyone that doesn't hate ales and bitters... apparantly they have these quite often... there's an organisation called CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) that hold a number of these events... managed to get home at not an all too late hour...

what can logically follow a little story about a Beer festival... why a little valentines day story of course... although we were semi-lethargic on Saturday following "a few beers/glasses of wine" here in the apartment... we (anne and myself and mathilda) went to the Tate Modern... was quite a slow steady wander... some good art... (I would recommend a piece called Eye, Nose and Cheek)

Anne and I then went to this "kick ass" bar called Café Kick which is very near Old Street (Shoreditch High Street) ... Anne loves the place cause they have AMAZING cocktails... and I love the place cause they have table fussball and show footie and its a really kool chilled place... so we get there and they are showing the England Wales rugby... I know that at the same time Chelsea are playing Watford in the FA cup... and its on Setanta... so Anne asked the barman if they're showing the game and he shakes his head and calls over to his boss to ask... his Boss was a big strong welshman who carried a great big smile.... he came over .. took one look at us... asked us if we were a couple... and then told us... "I'm going to make your valentines day"... he showed us down to the downstairs Lounge which they had set up to watch the game but as nobody had shown they had closed it again... there were candles and nice big comfy sofas... so we got the entire place to ourselves, watched Chelsea win 3-1... Anne got her Mojito... and we got to sit privately in comfy chairs... :-)

We had dinner reservations at a restaraunt called the Yard ... a great pizza place that do pizzas in Yards instead of circles...:-) I don't eat tomato sauce or anything tomato-ee... so normally the pizzas i eat are SUPER cheesy... but this time i ordered this awesome pizza that wasn't soooo cheesey it was called Crispy Duck and had some Hoi Chi sauce... some spring onions (I absolutely love Spring onions)... and cucumber... and probably something else I've forgotten.. anyway, it was great...!!! :-) so yea.. it was a good day all around...:-)


Today a friend of mine who I lived next to in Slovakia wrote an interesting Blog post ... he's currently travelling from Europe through Asia... in one long trip... through Turkey, Iran, Pakistan... I'd really recommend reading a few of his entries if you have the chance...interesting experiences... interesting how people do different things...

Link to Tiago's blog as he travels from Europe... through Turkey through Iran... through Pakistan and beyond. Click here


And finally some work-searching related stuff... what kind of people don't reply to mails? what kind of people don't reply to second mails... I know people are busy... and I know that sometimes its easy to forget, but to have sent out more than 15-20 mails to individuals with specific questions over the past 5 days.. and not to get one reply makes you wonder if people are actually getting my mail, but i've done tests to see if they get through to people and they do... so next time you receive a mail thats not totally preposterous and isn't asking you to do something totally ridiculous.. just send a reply... even if its just a .. "I'm really sorry but I can't help you."... this is the frustration I'm facing as I try to get through to people I know.. people I've met, people who have asked me to mail... etc etc....

a little mail (not a little male) will always make you smile!!! :-)

No comments: