Monday, March 2, 2009

Recruiters...

Now forgive me to all my recruiter friends out there but currently I am no big fan of recruiters...

I realise the market is really bad.
I understand that they are getting more applications and CV's than they have ever gotten in their lives.
I realise theirs is an extremely important job and often thankless...
I know that I got my first "real" job through a "recruiter"ish type of person in Sweden
I understand that its boring to go through CV after CV...
I realise they have to pigeonhole people
I in no way underestimate my own flaws in being the one that must effectively sell myself ....

BUT...
Of the oozes and oozes and oozes of them that I've spoken to/contacted they haven't been able to help me at all... they've been courteous (I wouldn't say friendly because you can tell its just being polite in most cases) but my profile is really not bad and its not like I'm applying to become a doctor with a degree in art or a French interpreter with no French language skills at all... The past week I've been concentrating far more on jobs in marketing, in sales, in business development... I've been concentrating on telecom, upstarts, marketing companies etc. which I have experience in... and a strong profile in.. Now I realise that they probably have 3000 CV's of which 200 of them have exactly the 7 years of experience in ... oh i don't know lets say...in creating campaigns for the rights of animal, can speak to a wide range of animals including Chimps, Moose and jellyfish...they have lived with animals all their lives including on a 3 month tour of south america, and have experience of working with them in 3 different EMEA (Europe /Middle East /Africa) countries... how can I compete with that??? i can't... not when I'll be sent away immediately by recruiters...

Now like i said before, I really understand that they don't have the easiest job right now... but that doesn't stop the fact that at this moment in time... I'm not their biggest fan...



Today I happened across a very kool company that has a very cool technological product. I'm not going to go into it just yet as I'm goin to contact them shortly but the company was founded by two Danish guys and some of their plans for the future are VERY cool... I will see what I can leverage when I try to get in touch with them... but thats at least exciting...


I'm currently contemplating taking a trip to Bruxelles this weekend as Anne will be heading back to Västerås and it would be great just to relax at "home".
This past weekend I was fortunate enough to have dinner with Mathilda twice... on the Saturday night and on the Sunday night... it's great having your sis around for a nice relaxing no-expectations kind of night... we ended up watching Milk, the movie about Harvey Milk for which Sean Penn won an Academy Award for best Actor. I thought it was a very good movie. I love historical movies based on real events. I know its kind of a reoccurring theme throughout a bunch of my posts but I am inspired by people that DO.. that follow their dreams and DO...

While its obviously quite sad that it is thanks to Hollywood that I find out about this man and his courage and not thanks to history class or even the History channel but in some small way its important that these historical figures are recognised... and that our generations understand what they have done for human rights... for every Harvey Milk in the US, there are others in Europe and in Asia and Africa etc... and there will be others in the future... who make a difference...

At the moment, without the help of recruiters I'm not only determined to, but I'm convinced that I'm going to be the one that will ignite my future...

I'll leave you today with a quote from Harvey Milk:
"The important thing is not that we can live on hope alone, but that life is not worth living without it."

No comments: