Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Post from the air (((written on my way to Austin on plane -- posted back on land in London)

Somewhere south of Greenland. 36,000 feet up in the air. Godthab anyone?? What's life like there? Travelling as often as we do definitely has it's perks but the world is never-ending. It's also ever-changing. Just because I spent time in China when I was young, I don't know the China of today. 

I'm tired of travel right now. 

Travel is important. It's important to get away from your everyday. To see that things are done differently - for better or worse - elsewhere. But as with anything else one must do so in moderation. Having travelled extensively - continuing to travel currently gives only marginal insights and vision. Quite frankly it's only to visit people that I enjoy travel. It's only to travel with people in my own Rich culture that I enjoy it. 

It sounds cynical but I couldn't care less about other cultures right now. It's about finding mine. 

When you're young it's all about different cultures this and that but what if that's all you'd ever known. Is it so strange then to want to experience one culture for a prolonged period of time. To really get to know it. To become one with it? I think it's normal but I think the decision of which  must be made when one is comfortable to make it.

Am I somewhat ready? Perhaps?we'll find out.

I'm coming to the point where I want to make such a decision and I've very much narrowed down my options to three countries and a handful cities: Sweden, UK and USA. 

Top of the list is Sweden. I feel it's who I am. Where I'm from. Who I want to be. but there are a few downsides that I just know will be thorns in the side if I choose to do so.

I don't feel English. Truth be told I've had a real love hate relationship with England and had quite a lot of distance from the culture and many things with it. Started at university. Now too. I'm super thankful for all its given me. Ive had some good times there but it was never my end station. I have always felt Swedish more.

Until recently I always loved USA but since working for an American company I've realised a number of things about it that differ from my personality or at least who I have become. I could envisage living there for a short period of time in the future but otherwise no. We'll see how things change when I'm back in positive USA.

Travelling at 875 km/h high above the Atlantic I know that I must slow down slightly and focus in order to speed up. I'm a restless creature. I'm a creature of habit. It will require a real fight to break old habits but I'm ready to do it - for the benefit of my future.

Funny that travelling is the only real time I have to reflect. One can never be too happy in this world can one? More options ... More dilemmas.

No comments: